Well, it’s been a little hush hush here on this blog as of late. I didn’t want to post until I knew for sure what I was doing next year, but today I’ve received my official letter, so I’m happy to announce the big news:
I’ve officially accepted a tenure-track position as Assistant Professor of English at Juniata College in Huntingdon, PA.
I am super excited about the job and will happily be sharing all my moving adventures with you as I make a trek back out east. There are many things to tell you about the job, but here are some highlights:
1. Juniata College is a private, small liberal arts college in Central PA.
2. Central PA is in the mountains.
3. Philadelphia is 4 hours away, and Harrisonburg, VA is 3.5 hours away, so I will be close to friends and family.
4. Huntingdon in a small town of 7,000 people. The biggest nearby city is State College, with about 40,000. The smallest place I’ve lived is in the twin cities of Champaign-Urbana, IL which has about 100,000 people.
5. We will be renting in Huntingdon for our first year.
6. I will be responsible to “to teach writing courses in professional writing and to develop, administer, and assess the [English] department’s Professional Writing Program.”
7. In my first year, I will be teaching 5 courses: First-year composition, Writing for the Web, Writing Across Media, Business Writing, and Visual Rhetoric. In my second year, I will teach 6 courses, adding Medical Writing to the list.
8. I’ve already looked, and there are yarn stores nearby State College, PA. We haven’t found a game store yet, but I did meet gamers on my campus visit.
9. Even though we haven’t found a game store yet, the World Board Gaming Championship takes place every summer in Lancaster, PA, a mere 2.5 hours away. We will also continue to attend Origins Game Fair in Columbus, OH, which is 6.5 hours away.
10. There is a Wegmans in State College.
So, I will be graduating this summer! My defense is scheduled for May 16, and my dissertation draft will be due at the end of April. As I am awfully busy, I don’t have time for a full travel update yet, but now that I know where I’m going next year, I will post some pictures and tell you a little bit about the last 3 months soon enough!